Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Scandals and Screenplays

Last week we watched a film called "The Player." It was made in 1992, which gave it that great 90's vibe. The hair was huge. The dresses and suits were boxy and tacky. The cars looked like they would fall apart at any time. Ahh, memories of my childhood. However something I don't often see is a movie about the movies from the 90's. Things have changed quite a bit since Singin' in the Rain and Sunset Boulevard. The chances of "making it" in show business are becoming slimmer and slimmer, and "The Player" is a great perspective on just how cut-throat the business can be.

Tim Robbins is the lead. He portrays Griffen Mill, a studio executive in charge of screening scripts that come through from hopeful young screen writers. It's a tough job, because of the thousands of scripts that come through a year, only a select few will actually be chosen to be made into a film. Those that are actually chosen will eventually be chopped up and dumbed down for audiences to enjoy! Ahhh, the humanity. Where has authenticity and creativity gone? But then again, the purpose of films is generally to entertain us. The purpose of a documentary is to educate, so do we really want to see harsh reality at the theater? Honestly I have to be in the mood for it. Usually I just want to munch on my popcorn, laugh at the jokes, cry when the dog dies, and leave the theater with a good feeling because of a happy ending. Does that make me a sell out?

I think my favorite part about this movie was the perspective. As a viewer I felt (especially in the long opening shot) that I was simply a distant viewer who was fortunate enough to see what goes on backstage at a Hollywood studio rather than someone who has been thoughtfully involved in the development of the characters. They're doing their thing and we're just watching... and it's entertaining as hell. We are able to hear multiple conversations at once. It might seem confusing and difficult to understand at first, but it's more realistic.

Probably the most surprising part of the movie, oddly enough, was Whoopi Goldberg's character. It's interesting that the director, Robert Altman, uses dozens of real celebries in the film portraying themselves, but Whoopi Goldberg is your run-of-the-mill police detective. No glitz. No glamour. Just a sharp edge crude mouth. I liked it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you appreciated this movie -- it's one of my favorites. Love the darkness.

    ReplyDelete